With the use of a functional smoke detector, your survival rate increases by over 50 percent. Most home fires occur between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m., when most people are sleeping. Contrary to popular belief, the smoke emitted from a fire will not awaken a sleeping loved one, making functional smoke detectors a priority for every homeowner. Smoke detectors are an inexpensive way to ensure your family's safety.
Smoke detectors safety tips:
- You should have a smoke detector on every level of your home and near bedrooms.
- Replace the batteries at least once a year.
- Test the detectors monthly.
- Keep the detectors clean and free from dust.
- Replace your household smoke detectors every ten years or as the manufacturer recommends.
The Farmington Public Safety Department provides free battery powered smoke detectors to Farmington Residents. To receive your free smoke detector, contact Fire Marshal W. Wood at 248-699-5146 or vial email at firstname.lastname@example.org