Skip To Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Where are the borders of the City of Farmington?
Farmington and Farmington Hills are separate and distinct cities. Farmington lies north of Livonia, east of Halsted, west of Orchard Lake and south of Ten Mile Road.

How do I apply for a gun permit?
Applications for a Permit to Purchase (PTP) a handgun or Concealed Pistol License are available at the Records Section of the Farmington Public Safety Department, 8:00am to 4:00pm Monday through Friday.

How can I contact a police school liaison officer for Farmington High School?
Officer Lisa Kobernick is assigned to Farmington High School. She may be contacted at the school at 248-324-5753, or at the Police Department at 248-474-4700.

How can I schedule a tour of the Police Department?
A tour can be scheduled by contacting Records Supervisor Corinne Brazzil, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

How can I notify the police that I will be away on vacation?
The Farmington City Public Safety Cadet can take vacation information at 248-474-4700 ext 2. This is to provide the department personnel with information concerning an address while the resident is on vacation. It does not provide for special attention of extra patrol, but is a source of pertinent information to assist personnel responding to a run at that location.

How do I get copies of police reports?
Copies of police incident and traffic accident reports may be obtained through the Records Section of the Farmington Public Safety Department. It is recommended that you call first at 248-474-4700 to request a copy of a report. All reports (except accidents) are reviewed prior to release. All roadway accidents are available after 72 hours on
Certain information, governed by state and federal privacy laws, is always removed from the report prior to copying. This may include, but is not limited to, phone numbers, witness information, suspect information (until a case is completely adjudicated), and medical data.
Incident report copy fees are: $5 for pages 1-2; $1.50 per page for additional. All accident reports are $10 regardless of the number of pages.

How do I report a traffic accident?
Michigan law requires a report to be filed if the crash occurred on a public roadway and resulted in an injury or combined damage in excess of $1,000. It is often easiest to report a traffic crash at the time it occurs. Officers will respond to the scene when summoned to file such a report. If reporting the accident at the station, both drivers should be present. Both should drive the involved vehicles so the officer taking the report may inspect damage. Reports can be made 24 hours a day at the front desk of the police station.

How do I get my property back from the police department?
Contact the Special Operations Commander at 248-474-5500 extension 2246 to arrange for the return of property. That person must provide proper identification at the time of release.

How do I contact the police in an emergency?
Call 9-1-1. Due to the limited number of available incoming 9-1-1 telephone lines, use of this system is restricted to true emergencies. Use of the 9-1-1 system is reserved to report a serious crime in progress, or just occurred, or a life threatening situation such as a medical emergency, fire or car accident involving a personal injury.

How do I contact the police for a non-emergency?
You can call 248-474-4700, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Where are you located?
The Public Safety Department is located off Grand River Avenue, one block west of Farmington Road. Our mailing address is: Farmington Public Safety Department 23600 Liberty Farmington, Michigan 48335

How do I report a missing pet?
If you have a missing or runaway pet, you should contact the Public Safety Desk at 248-474-4700. All lost or found pets are documented in a book and every attempt is made to get the lost or found animal home.

How do I get a Personal Protection Order (PPO)?
A Personal Protection Order is a court order that protects you from being harassed, beaten, assaulted, molested, wounded or stalked. The PPO prohibits a named individual from doing these things to you. It also prohibits the named individual from entering your premises and removing your children, unless there is an overriding court order.
To obtain a PPO, you must go to the Oakland County Circuit Court (6th Circuit Court) at 1200 North Telegraph in Pontiac, where you ask a clerk for a "do-it-yourself PPO packet". You must follow the instructions carefully when filling out the forms. The forms are then forwarded to a Judge. To have a named individual served notice of the PPO, you can contact the Oakland County Sheriff's Office Civil Division, located in the same complex, at 1200 North Telegraph in Pontiac, or call 248-858-5034.

How do I find out the status of a police investigation?
Due to the confidential and sensitive nature of criminal investigations, information and the status of open investigations will not be provided over the Internet. If you are the victim of a crime and request updated information regarding the status of your case, please contact the Detective Bureau at 248-474-4700, Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm. Please be prepared to provide the complaint number of your case, if known. If the detective in charge is unavailable to promptly respond, please request to speak with a supervisor.

How can I get information about sexual assault?
If you are in immediate danger, or have suffered a sexual assault, and/or need medical assistance as a result of a sexual assault, call 9-1-1 immediately, or ask a neighbor to call if you are unable. If your situation is not an emergency, but you wish to report the incident, call the Farmington Public Safety Department or come to the Farmington Public Safety Department. Arrangements can be made for victims to be examined by a specially trained forensic nurse. All incidents of sexual assault should be reported to law enforcement. This should be done as soon as possible after the incident to preserve evidence. You should also seek medical attention for any injuries you may have suffered.

How do I report domestic violence to the police?
If you are in immediate danger, call 9-1-1 or ask a neighbor to call if you are unable. If you are not in immediate danger but wish to report the incident, call the Farmington Public Safety Department or come to the Farmington Public Safety Department. This should be done as soon as possible after the incident to preserve evidence. You should also seek medical attention for any injuries you may have suffered.

What are the requirements for hiring in the Public Safety Department?
Each member of the Farmington Public Safety Department is cross-trained in three fields: police work, fire, and medical first response. Members of the Public Safety Department must have attained a minimum of an Associate Degree or its equivalent in credit hours if pursuing a more advanced degree.

Where must an individual pay traffic tickets?
Tickets are paid at the 47th District Court, not at City Hall. The address is 47th District Court, 31605 West Eleven Mile Road, Farmington Hills, MI 48336 248-871-2900.

Where are corrected auto equipment violations inspected (mufflers, headlights, etc.)?
These inspections are conducted by the Public Safety Department or any police agency.

What hours is the Public Safety Department open?
It is open 24 hours every day of the year.

What is Farmington's curfew policy?
Farmington follows the State of Michigan curfew law. The hours are the same seven days per week. For those under age 12, the curfew hours run from 10:00 p.m. through 6:00 a.m.; for those under age 16, the hours run from 12 midnight through 6:00 a.m.

What are the business hours of the Detective Division of the Public Safety Department?
The hours are 8:30am through 4:30pm, Monday through Friday. Since detectives often need to leave their offices, a citizen may leave a message. One of the detectives will get back to him or her.

What is the number to call when traffic signals are out, or when reporting after-hours water or power outages, water line breaks, or sewer back-ups?

How do I become a Public Safety Cadet?
The Public Safety Cadet is a part-time position within the Public Safety Department. Applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalent as well as a minimum of 24 college credit hours or prior military experience. The department expects the Public Safety Cadet to be currently entrolled in college courses with a minimum of a 2.0 grade point average.